Sunday, August 22, 2010

Handmade Dress Form

I love sewing! Would I ever want to quit my day job and become a full time seamstress? Eh, probably not. My mom is great at sewing and I've been sewing for a long time - maybe since I was twelve years old. The foundation of my love for sewing definitely comes from my mom. Everything else I learned about this craft I have picked up on my own through research, experimentation and of course, following instructions.

I've almost always followed store bought patterns and lately I have come to the conclusion that I am shaped differently than bodies these sewing patterns are made for. What's the point of taking the time to craft a beautiful garment out of fabric that I love, if it's not going to be tailored to fit me specifically? So, I decided to make a dress form. I looked through some books and searched online for help. Here is what I found to be most helpful:

Mimi Goodwin's $7
video download
The free version of Mimi's video here
The Stitch Lounge Girl's book, Subversive Seamster
Having a ready made dress form on a stand that I could use for my DIY dress form
Having a boyfriend with insulator and other construction skills

I combined some techniques used in the book and in Mimi's video and also added a few of my own.



What I did differently:

1. I used rolled up paper for the neck - there is NO way to wrap my neck in tape....for so many reasons.


2. We constructed a shoulder support using a leftover piece of dowel which happened to be the same size a the width of my shoulders. That dowel was then screwed to the top of the the main dowel and then shoved into place.

3. We hung the dress form upside down and filled it with Touch and Seal spray foam. You have to do this outside because of the fumes and potential for a slight mess factor. This stuff expanded nicely into most of the upper body's curves and did a fine job holding the support dowels in place.



4. After letting the foam do what it does and dry for a few hours I finished stuffing the booty and hip area with Polyfil, working around the hardened foam.

5. We cut a piece of foam board to match the bottom, cut a hole in it and taped it into place.

Here she is modeling the last dress I made before the dress form!


1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your posts today. I too have a blog here on Google that no one reads. (previous post) I still seem to feel the need to write in it. I am being a stalker today. I found my crochet stich markers and have been on your Facebook page and Etsy shop a few times since. BTW I still am in total love with my markers. I put them up a few months ago so I wouldn't lose them on my down time and lost them lol. Anyways This post made me laugh. I too made a duct tape form once. I loved it but in the end it met its demise and was used as a arrow target by my husband. With 4 little ones 3,3 and under I just didn't have time to make my own cloths and hubby thought it would be funny to shot "me" with arrows target practicing. I'm glad you made it a little further with the project then I did :) Anyways. I love your products and You are in inspiration.

    ReplyDelete